Communities: Elko New Market
Over the last decade, the City of Elko New Market has been the fastest growing city in Minnesota. It is a prosperous community, with a median household income of over $87,000, more than 32% higher than the 13-county metro area at $65,800, according to the US Census Bureau, American Community Survey (2008-2012 ACS).
Ideally located on Interstate 35 in the southern Twin Cities Metropolitan Area, the City's small-town feel combined with its convenient location to many metro area amenities, attractions, recreational opportunities, shopping centers, and entertainment venues, makes Elko New Market an attractive place to live, visit, and do business.
Population (2014 estimate): 4,472
Median household income (2009-2013): $87,400
Percent of population with high school education or higher (2009-2013): 99+%
Percent of population with a Bachelor's degree or higher (2009-2013): 43%
Source: Metropolitan Council/U.S. Census Bureau American Community Survey 2008-2012
Community/Economic Development Contact Information
Renee Christianson - Community Development Specialist
The Community Development department is comprised of three divisions: (1) Building inspections, (2) Planning & Zoning, (3) Economic Development. The purpose of Community Development is to
- Protect the public health, safety, morals, comfort, convenience, and general welfare.
- Educate and inform the public on economic, building, planning, and zoning related issues.
- Promote, attract, and retain businesses.
- Encourage a diversified tax base (residential, commercial, and industrial growth).
- Promote safe and orderly development.
- Enforce governmental regulations.
- Assist in the development and implementation of strategic and long range plans.
- Conserve and enhance natural resources and aesthetically pleasing scenery.
Adjacent to I-35
I-494: 23 miles
Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport: 29 miles
Downtown Minneapolis: 32 miles
General Contact Information
601 Main Street
Elko New Market, MN 55054
Main Phone: 952-461-2777
Utility and Service Providers
Electric: MN Valley Electric Cooperative, Xcel Energy, Dakota Electric
Natural Gas: Minnesota Energy Resources, Greater Minnesota Gas
Water & Sewer: City of Elko New Market
Internet & Telephone: Integra, Mediacom